How to Select the Best Construction Project Management Software for Your Business
Construction Project Management Software are computer tools used by professionals to ease and automate the construction management process. These computer programs ensure that every phase of the construction process is simplified and easy to analyze and optimize.
Construction Project Management Software are used optimize day to day tasks in the construction development in order to improve the delivery of projects, and eventually create a positive impact on the ultimate goal of construction companies.
Construction Project Management Software help construction managers direct and coordinate all forms of resources – human, material, information, financial, etc. – throughout the lifecycle of a construction project. Modern techniques and methods of management are used to achieve predetermined goals of costs, quality, time, scope and other variables.
Construction Project Management Software applies to all forms of construction projects like residential, environmental, commercial, industrial, agricultural, institutional, and heavy civil, etc.
The main function of Construction Project Management Software is to help contractors manage everything related to their projects better. These computer tools allow contractors to make more strategic decisions on a timely basis. Construction Project Management Software bridge the gap between every aspect of your construction project, ensuring there is communication and synchronization between the various sections.
Construction Project Management Software help ensure that every plan is on track. They make sure that the project finishes within the time and budget constraints. Other factors like the building codes, plans and specifications are also managed by Construction Project Management Software. The selection of subcontractors, workers, conflict resolution strategies, safety management, and other complex tasks can also be handled by Construction Project Management Software. A new wave of Construction Project Management Software is hitting the construction industry, from web apps to cloud apps. These tools are incorporating innovative approaches to solving construction problems, leading to an overall increase in efficiency in construction management.
What are the Features of Construction Project Management Software
Construction Project Management Software offer several features to businesses, some of which include Document Control, Change Orders, RFI & Submittals, Project Scheduling, Transmittals, Purchase Orders, Equipment & Resources, Bid Proposals, Transmittals, Job Costing, Budgeting, Communication & Collaboration, Safety Management, Time Management, Quality Management, Tailor Workflows, Integration with other Departments and Importation of Data.
- Document Control: This gives you the opportunity to control and effectively manage all documents related to your construction project, including archiving documents and keeping every one up to date with recent changes.
- Change Orders: This helps you track all change orders made across projects and also updates your project budget to reflect the most recent changes in cost.
- RFI & Submittals: This tracks the date and time of RFIs and Submittals, as well as whether or not a response has been received.
- Project Scheduling: This helps with planning tasks when they need to be completed in order to keep the project running smoothly.
- Transmittals: This stores a record of correspondence and communications sent or received between parties involved in the construction project, all for future reference.
- Purchase Orders: This helps to record all items purchased during the course of working on a construction project, in order to track and manage project expenses.
- Equipment & Resources: This allows a firm allocate its resources and equipment used throughout the project.
- Bid Proposals: This helps solicit and monitor bids from subcontractors, helping you decide on the best one for your project.
- Job Costing: This helps monitor the present costs against the overall budget in order to track your project costs all the way to completion.
- Budgeting: This feature helps in tracking the overall budget of your project and how it aligns to the other constraints like time, quality, etc.
- Communication & Collaboration: This helps with communication across various parties in your project, as well as seamless collaboration between them.
- Safety Management: Safety management in a Construction Project Management Software helps make sure every safety standard and protocols are followed during the course of your construction project.
- Time Management: Time Management in a Construction Project Management Software. Helps ensure that the time constraint is well satisfied during the course of a construction project.
- Quality Management: Quality Management helps with ensuring that various specifications, codes and criteria are very well satisfied during the course of a construction project.
- Tailor Workflows: This helps tweak and customize your workflow according to your preferences, giving you total control over your construction project.
- Integration with other Departments: This is a key feature in Construction Project Management Software that helps with the integration of every construction process with other departments like Accounting, HR, etc.
- Importation of Data: This helps with the importation of data from external sources that might be relevant to your project.
What are the Types of Construction Project Management Software
There are three major types of Construction Project Management Software, they are:
- Integrated Construction Estimation: Construction Project Management Software in this category combine portfolios with other aspects like finances and business management, all through the construction project. These software provide Construction Project Management functions such as writing and changing project contracts, scheduling operations and tasks, managing resources, etc. The accounting functionalities performed by this software include the generation of financial reports, assessment of job cuts, project billing etc. HR/Accounting duties like Payroll management can also be done on this type of Construction Project Management Software. Other business management tasks like customer relation and business planning are important features of Integrated Construction Estimation software.
- Project Portfolio Management: This type of Construction Project Management Software is primarily designed to address the management of information and the project scheduling requirements of a construction project. This helps Construction Project Managers effectively manage time and improve the overall efficiency in their construction projects. The various software available in this category help reduce performance risks by effectively managing and tracking costs relative to budget, and making sure to implement optimization changes. They also enable the logging and keeping of records and data, ensuring in an ease of visualization and sharing of such data if need be.
- Issue Tracking Management: This type of Construction Project Management Software allows users deal with every issues and loopholes during a construction project. Features like contract management, financial inclusion, workflow management, and other analytical features are constantly being analyzed to reveal any shortcomings. A simple glitch in construction projects can result in a dominos effect. This is why it is important to always monitor and fix bugs in construction projects, and Issue Tracking Construction Project Management Software make sure of this.
What are the Key Performance Indicators (KPI's) of Construction Project Management Software
- Stability and Reliability: This is a very important performing indicator, as you do not want a Construction Project Management Software that is not stable and is riddled with downtimes.
- Convenience: The ease and convenience of operating your Construction Project Management Software is a good way to appraise the performance of your software.
- Cost of Operating Software: Cost is a very important factor in construction projects, and if the cost of operating your Construction Project Management Software is too high, then it is not advisable to use it.
What are the Benefits of Construction Project Management Software
- Improves Operational Efficiencies: Construction Project Management Software help increase the operational efficiencies and productivity of any project.
- Easy access to important information: With this software, it is very easy to access relevant information and data as regards a construction project.
- Helps monitor costs: Costs can be better monitored and controlled with the use of a Construction Project Management Software.
- Simplified workflows: Workflows are simplified and tasks can be easily assigned and scheduled with the use of Construction Project Management Software.
- Reduces time spent searching for documents: The time spent searching for documents is drastically reduced with the use of a Construction Project Management Software.
- Improved Collaboration and communication: Collaboration and communication are simplified when using a Construction Project Management Software.
What are the Latest trends in Construction Project Management Software
- Software as a Service (SaaS): These days, applications are on the cloud, meaning that on-site software is fast becoming obsolete; so you need to keep this in mind.
- Mobile Support: Smartphones are everywhere, and mobile support is something that is on the rise amongst Construction Project Management Software.
- LEED Tracking: LEED tracking is another fast rising trend, as many Construction Project Management Software now offer LEED tracking features.
How to choose the right Construction Project Management Software
- Budget: This is the first thing to consider when looking to buy a Construction Project Management Software, as you do not want to go over your budget.
- Ease of Deployment and Integration: The ease of deployment and integration of a Construction Project Management Software is another important factor to consider when looking to buy one.
- Scalability: Sometimes, you might need to scale up a construction project management software, especially when you are hiring many subcontractors, so you need to consider this.
- Security: Security is everything these days; you will be handling sensitive Construction Project Management documents, and you would need a software that can guarantee their safety and security.
Top Construction Project Management Software
You may want to review the Top Construction Project Management Software