Top 10 Free Relational Database Management Systems (RDBMS)
Companies handle data and need to utilize an effective database management system (DBMS) to organize their data on a daily basis.
The best DBMS allows users to keep accurate records of data, organize, manipulate, and retrieve data. Companies need a system that allows them to access the information they want at the right time, identify and manage relationships between different sets of data, update existing data, delete unwanted or outdated data, and perform search queries at any given moment.
There are different types of database management systems, but the relational database management system (RDBMS) is the most popular type of DBMS. The RDBMS has been the predominant DBMS for more than 40 years. With the right RDBMS, companies can create and manage relational databases with all kinds of structured data such as employee data, customer data, sales data, phone numbers, census records, legal records, and library catalogs.
What are the Top Free Relational Database Management System (RDBMS): MariaDB, Db2 Express-C, SQLite, CUBRID, Firebird, Oracle Database XE, Sequel Pro, PostgreSQL, SQL Server Express, MySQL are some of the Top Relational Database Management System (RDBMS).
What are Relational Database Management System (RDBMS)?
In 1970, Edgar Codd wrote a paper that established the theoretical basis for modern-day relational databases. These databases are based on the relational model, structured query language (SQL), and ACID transactions.
Relational databases organize data into tables with rows and columns. The term relational means that values within each table are related to each other. Rows are also known as records and one table can have hundreds, thousands or millions of them. Columns or fields have a descriptive name and a specific data type.
Relational database users use a relational database management system to manage these databases. An RDBMS can be defined as a database program that allows database users to perform different queries on relational database data. It’s the software that allows you to add data, update the database, search for values, and retrieve information. RDBMSs can also provide visual representations of data. RDBMSs use structured query language to execute queries.
- Data Storage: One of the key features of an RDBMS is the ability to store data in tables. Each table consists of many rows and columns that store the actual values. Tables provide a rigid structure for storing structured data.
- SQL Commands: An RDBMS allows users to perform queries with the help of SQL commands. The system uses different commands to store new data, modify existing data, perform searches, and retrieve data based on the user’s input.
- ACID Transactions: Another important feature of an RDBMS is the ability to ensure ACID (atomicity, consistency, isolation, durability) transactions. This feature ensures that all transactions are complete, consistent based on all defined rules, and free from any problems associated with errors, system crashes, and power loss.
- Cross-Platform Use: Some RDBMSs are available on multiple platforms including Android, iOS, Solaris, Linux, Mac, VxWorks, Windows, and Unix. This means RDBMSs are available on smartphones, PDAs, MP3 players, tablets, computers, and set-top boxes.
- Replication and Partitioning: The best RDBMSs include a feature that allows users to partition tables and replicate data. Database users can subdivide tables and indexes into smaller pieces that are easy to manage.
Some of the benefits include:
- Partitioning and replication schemes help businesses to improve their overall performance by meeting every business need.
- ACID transactions ensure data integrity, completeness, and accuracy.
- Multiple users can use the system simultaneously.
- Easy to understand and use – SQL uses simple English language keywords.
- Availability and affordability.
Top Relational Database Management System (RDBMS)
MariaDB is a powerful database server that is made from MySQL developers. MariaDB provides a platform for getting structured information from given data by use of a broad range of applications that range from websites to banking. MariaDB is simply a placement for MySQL that is enhanced. MariaDB provides a fast, robust, and scalable database server with a full grained ecosystem of plugins, storage engines, and several other database tools that enable MariaDB to be versatile for a wide range of uses cases. MariaDB provides an excellent platform for a SQL interface for data accessing as it is developed as…
• MariaDB 10.2.8
• MariaDP Galera Cluster
• MariaDB Galera Cluster 10.0.31
• Connector Java 2.0.2
• MariaDB Galera Cluster 10.0.30
• Connector J 1.5.9
• MariaDB 10.1.21
• MariaDB 10.2.1 Alpha
• MariaDB enterprise Advanced - $5000/server/year
• MariaDB Enterprise Cluster - $6500/server/year
• MariaDB Enterprise Standard - $2500/Server/year
• MariaDB Enterprise Galera Cluster - $6500/node/year
Db2 Express-C is a free community edition of Db2 database software which provides the core features of more scalable Db2 editions. It has a fast set setup, easy to use, ideal for academia, small businesses and multi-branch companies. It’s ideal for most startups and small/medium sized businesses. It’s very fast, secure, reliable and very scalable. It can be run on either 32-bit or 64-bit systems with Linux or Windows operating systems. It has a memory limit of 4GB but there are no limits on the size of database or even number of users. Data that is in transit or resting…
• Contains the SQL compatibility feature to more easily run applications written for other databases on Db2.
• No charge in that it provides a free community edition of Db2 database software that provides the core feature of more scalable Db2 editions.
• Uses time travel query as data can be queried as it currently exists, at points in the past, or as it might be at a point in the future. It also has the infrastructure for time-aware analytics to run time-specific queries.
• Has an integrated toolset where when IBM Data Studio is used, one can find a database development and administration environment, for developers and administrators to create and manage a heterogeneous database.
• It’s compatible with SQL which reduces the risk and cost associated with a database migration, making data server consolidations easier and help reduce operational costs.
SQLite is a the most widely deployed database in the world with very many applications which includes very many high-profile projects. It implements a self-contained, server less, zero configuration and transactional SQL database engine. It’s free to use for any purpose, commercial or private. SQLite is embedded into the end program. It’s not a client-server database engine. SQLite stores its entire database as a single cross-platform file on a host machine. It’s an SQL database engine that is embedded. It doesn’t have a separate server process. It reads and writes to ordinary disk files directly. A complete SQL database with…
• Transactions are atomic, consistent, isolated, and durable (ACID) even after system crashes and power failures.
•Zero-configuration - no setup or administration needed.
•Full-featured SQL implementation with advanced capabilities like partial indexes, indexes on expressions, JSON, and common table expressions. (Omitted features)
•A complete database is stored in a single cross-platform disk file. Great for use as an application file format.
CUBRID is an open source and free database engine that provides built-in enterprise grade features. CUBRID provides a high level of SQL compatibility along with MySQL and other known databases. The main features of CUBRID are; data sharing, high performance data caching, object oriented database elements relations, a native middleware broker, extendible and customizable globalization support. CUBRID provides an open source software that is powerful and enables stable and high performance without any limitations. CUBRID provides a platform for users to build a custom database solution for their website by contacting CUBRID core dev team who will analyze the project…
• Object oriented database elements relations
• Data sharing
• A native middleware broker
• High performance data caching
• Customizable and extendible globalization support
Free and open source software
Firebird is a relational and open source database that provides many SQL and ANSI features that are able to perform on Windows, Linux, and several UNIX platforms. Firebird provides excellent concurrency, powerful language support, and high performance support for stored procedures and triggers. Firebird simply provides an open source relational database management system that provides excellent performance and scales impressively by use of an embedded and single user model to enterprise wide deployments. The main features provided by Firebird are; multi-generation architecture, support of all major platforms and operation systems, SQL language that is powerful and friendly, monitoring and logging,…
• Multi-generation architecture
• Multi-user database access
• Developer tools
• User-defined functions
• Optimistic row-level looking
• BLOB filters
• Database administration
• SQL compliance
Contact for pricing
Oracle Database XE
Oracle database XE is an entry-level, small-footprint database on the Oracle Database 11g Release 2 code base. It’s free to develop, deploy, and distribute, fast to download and simple to administer. With Oracle Database XE, you can now develop and deploy applications with a powerful, proven, industry-leading infrastructure, and then upgrade when necessary without costly and complex migrations.Oracle Database XE can be installed on any size host machine with any number of CPUs (one database per machine), but XE will store up to 11GB of user data, use up to 1GB of memory, and use one CPU on the host…
• Advanced security option
• Messaging gateway
• Oracle change management pack
• Oracle clusterware
• Oracle data guard
• Oracle data mining
Sequel Pro is a fast, easy to use Mac database management application that works with MySQL databases. It’s open source. It gives an organization direct access to its MySQL databases on local and remote servers. It provides a perfect web development companion. Mac Web developers, programmers or software developers get their workflow streamlined with a native mac OS X application. It very easy to install, all that needs to be done is to just download, connect to an organizations database and then use the provided guides to get started. Sequel Pro allows an organization to manage its databases and tables.…
• Structure view for editing fields that make up tables.
• Content View that gives direct editing access to all rows in a table.
• Relations view that enables an organization to view and delete any relations that are attached to a table.
• Table info view that provides an overview of important information for any selected table.
• A powerful query view that allows easy rerunning of saved queries.
• Navigator which allows your organization to explore its databases, tables and fields.
PostgreSQL is a powerful open source object-relational database system. It has a strong reputation in terms of reliability, data integrity, and correctness. It runs on all major operating systems, including Linux, UNIX (AIX, BSD, HP-UX, SGI IRIX, macOS, Solaris, Tru64) and Windows. It is a development platform which allows developing in-house, web, or commercial software products that require a capable RDBMS. It is highly scalable both in the sheer quantity of data it can manage and in the number of concurrent users it can accommodate. It has a fully relational system catalog that supports multiple schemas per database. It also…
• Multi-version concurrency control
• Point in time recovery
• Nested transactions (savepoints)
• Sophisticated query planner/optimizer
• Write ahead logging for fault tolerance.
• Data integrity
• Table inheritance
SQL Server Express
SQL Server Express is a free database software that works great with any web application framework like PHP, including applications such as WordPress, and Drupal. It can be used to store and access the information stored in many different databases. It is a full database engine that can be deployed to a server or embedded into an application. It comes with a lot of free storage with three online encyclopedias that are free to distribute and even comes with reporting and online backup plus other great capabilities. It allows for 10GB of storage. It has the drivers that are needed…
• Reporting feature that allows visualization of all manner of information.
• Online backup that ensures that data is never lost.
• Management studio that allows one to configure, manage, administer, and develop all components of SQL server.
• Syncing of data that allows easily linking up of multiple SQL server database even on multiple devices.
• Mapping of ones data using Bing maps.
MySQL is the world’s most popular open source database. It’s the leading database choice for web-based applications. It supports SQL as its database language. It has views that relate to an SQL query that is viewed as a distinct database object and makes it possible for one to view a particular part of a database. It also has stored procedures that are simply SQL codes that are stored in the database system. These stored procedures are used to simplify certain steps like inserting or deleting a data record. It has triggers which are SQL commands that are automatically executed by…
• It’s a Relational database system.
• It’s Client/server architecture.
• It supports SQL (structured query language)
• It has views that relate to an SQL query that is viewed as a distinct database object and makes it possible to view a particular view of the database.
• It supports stored procedures meaning SQL code that’s stored in the database system.
• It has triggers which are SQL commands that are automatically executed by the server in certain database operations.
• It has replication that allows the contents of a database to be copied onto a number of computers.