Start here If you are new to SAP HANA
START HERE IF YOU ARE NEW TO SAP HANA
This article is intended to provide an overview about SAP HANA, its capabilities and functionalities. This article provides the insight for the key stake holders of an IT project on how their organizations can benefit by deploying In- Memory database. Click on the link to read each of the sections about SAP HANA.
- In-memory computing, SAP in In-memory computing, SAP HANA
- Service Packs of HANA, Key benefits of SAP HANA
- What is SAP HANA ?, SAP HANA DB, SAP HANA Studio, SAP HANA Appliance, SAP HANA Application Cloud
- Architecture of SAP HANA, Persistency Layer, Programming Languages, Scalability & Benchmarks
- Data Modeling & Operation in SAP HANA, SAP HANA Modeler, Information Composer, Example data model in SAP HANA
- Replication, Security, Storage, Backup & Recovery
- Applications of SAP HANA, Customer specific technology applications, Content, Accelerated Applications, Products on In-memory and Next Generation Applications
- SAP BW powered by SAP HANA
- Appliance delivery model & Editions of SAP HANA
- Sizing of SAP HANA and Sizing of SAP BW on HANA
- The memory products SAP have introduced prior to SAP HANA are APO livecache, TREX, SAP BI Accelerator, SAP Business Objects Explorer Accelerated and SAP Business Objects Accelerator.
- SAP HANA is the synthesis of three separate products – TREX, P*Time and MaxDB.
- SAP HANA is an implementation of in-memory database technology consists of a database, a server for storage, client software and extract/ transform/ load middleware.
- Broadly there are five components within SAP HANA: 1) SAP HANA DB (or HANA DB) 2) SAP HANA Studio 3) SAP HANA Appliance 4) Other HANA components 5) SAP HANA Application Cloud.
- The architecture of the HANA database system has four management services, three database engine components, Three In-Memory Storage Engines and Persistency Layer as the main components.
- SAP HANA programming languages are: 1) SQL Script, which is extended based on the standard SQL.. 2) R is statistical/graphical language, which can be embedded in SQL Script. 3) BFL (Business Function Library) which is a prebuilt parameter-driven, basic building block calculations at high performance.
- There are three types of information views which are attribute view, analytic view, and calculation view.
- Hierarchies are used to structure and define the relationship between attributes of attribute views and calculation views.
- SAP HANA Modeler is a powerful tool intended for users with extensive technical knowledge to model extensive functions in HANA.
- SAP HANA Information Composer helps users to create new SAP HANA based analytical models.
- SAP Landscape Transformation Replication Server (SLT) provides real-time data replication from SAP and non-SAP Sources.
- The data replication is done differently in each of these methods. 1) Trigger-Based Data Replication, 2) Extract, transform, load (ETL) based data replication, 3) Transaction Log-Based Data Replication.
- The access to the SAP HANA database from the client networks are secured by authentication and authorization.
- The SAP HANA database holds the bulk of its data in memory for maximum performance, but also uses persistent storage to provide a fallback in case of failure.
- Data backups are required to protect against data loss due to disk failures or logical errors.
- The Applications of SAP HANA can be broadly classified as Customer specific technology application, Content, Accelerated Applications, Products on In memory and Next Generation Applications.
- SAP Netweaver BW Powered by HANA has been introduced to market on April 10, 2012. SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse (BW) powered with SAP HANA database replaces both the previous database and SAP NetWeaver BWA.
- SAP defines the solution together with it partners. SAP & Partners handle product lifecycle. SAP HANA is following the appliance delivery model
- The actual memory requirement of SAP HANA is depend on operational conditions which can be considered only by analyzing the HANA system.