MonetDB is a full-fledged relational DBMS that supports SQL:2003 and provides standard client interfaces such as ODBC and JDBC. It is designed to exploit the large main memories of modern computers during query processing.
• Enterprise level features such as clustering, data partitioning, and distributed query processing
• Management of External Data (SQL/MED)
• Information and Definition Schemas
• Routines and Types using the Java Language
• Database cracking is a technique that shifts the cost of index maintenance from updates to query processing
• Vertical fragmentation ensures that the non-needed attributes are not in the way
• Open source
• Open source
Small (<50 employees), Medium (50 to 1000 employees), Enterprise (>1001 employees)
• Static evaluation: Expressions over functions without side-effect and constant arguments can be evaluated before the program block is considered further
• Performs very well with both a simple and complex query with multiple join operations
• Combining the efficient XQuery functionality with the spatial module leads to the powerful GML processing solution
• Functional behavior: Easily recognize operators with and without side-effects
MonetDB is a full-fledged relational DBMS that supports SQL:2003 and provides standard client interfaces such as ODBC and JDBC. It is designed to exploit the large main memories of modern computers during query processing. A rich collection of linked-in libraries provides functionality for temporal data types, math routine, strings, and URLs. MonetDB is built on the canonical representation of database relations as columns, a.k.a. arrays. They are sizeable entities -up to hundreds of megabytes- swapped into memory by the operating system and compressed on disk upon need. MonetDB excels in applications where the database hot-set - the part actually touched - can be largely held in main-memory or where a few columns of a broad relational table are sufficient to handle individual requests. Further exploitation of cache-conscious algorithms proved the validity of these design decisions. MonetDB is designed to accommodate different query languages through its proprietary algebraic-language, called the MonetDB Assembly Language (MAL). The primary front-end being distributed is a SQL to MAL compiler. MonetDB supports a broad palette of application domains by hooking up external supplied libraries, e.g. pcre, raptor, libxml and geos. Several external file formats are being encapsulated into data vaults, which creates a symbiosis and natural bridge between database processing and legacy file-based processing prevalent in some science domains. For fixed width data types, MonetDB uses a plain C array of the respective type to store the value column of a BAT. MonetDb stores each BAT in a single contiguous file, where columnDB partitions those files in large chunks. MonetDB is used worldwide for education, research, and businesses.